Water Flow Testing
Conduct a Water Flow Test About Once a Year
You can do this yourself (see below). Or your sprinkler contractor can do it for you.
To do a water flow test:
- If your sprinklers are connected to a central alarm, inform the fire department that you are going to do a test.
- Find your water flow test control valve. It may be labeled main drain, inspector test or test and drain.
- Slowly turn the control on (bring the valve in line with the pipe).
- This action will allow water to flow. Let the water flow for about 60 seconds. If your system has an alarm, you will hear it.
- Slowly turn the control off (the valve will make a corner to the pipe).
- Write down the date you tested your water flow test valve.