Fire Sprinkler Facts
Home Fire Sprinklers Provide Affordable, Reliable and Effective Protection for Your Family
- Home fire sprinklers can contain and may even extinguish a fire in less time than it would take the fire department to arrive on the scene.
- Nationwide, more than 3,000 people die in fires each year. Fire sprinklers save lives, reduce property loss and can even help cut homeowner insurance premiums.
- Installing both smoke alarms and fire sprinklers reduces the risk of death in a home fire by 82%, relative to having neither.
- Only the sprinkler closest to the fire will activate, spraying water directly on the fire. Ninety percent of fires are contained by the operation of just one sprinkler.
- Nationally, on average, home fire sprinklers cost $1.35 per square foot of sprinklered space in new construction.
- Home fire sprinklers use only a fraction of the water used by fire department hoses. See a demonstration.
- Home fire sprinklers are at least as reliable as home plumbing systems.
- Modern residential sprinklers are inconspicuous and can be mounted flush with walls or ceilings. See how they work.
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions about fire sprinklers.
Watch a video about Fire Sprinkler Facts.
Hollywood has spread many myths about fire sprinklers. Find out the truth here.