How Fire Sprinklers Work
Fire Sprinklers are Simple, Reliable and Proven
- Fire sprinklers are very simple.
- The sprinkler is just a plug that holds back water in a pipe similar to your other plumbing pipes.
- Heat from a fire will break a glass tube or melt a solder plug which releases the water.
- The water comes out as a spray that covers the area immediately around the sprinkler, putting out the fire.
- Only the one sprinkler closest to the fire opens. All the other sprinklers remain sealed so the water is confined to just the area of the fire.
Watch a short animated movie that explains the workings of home fire sprinklers and is downloadable for your own use.
Fire sprinklers use far less water than fire hoses. Watch a short animated movie you can download for your own use, that demonstrates just how little.